Thursday, August 4, 2016

Surgery Day and 1 Day Post Op

I'm going to combine these two days since I'm just now able to fathom typing on a computer :)

Surgery Day:

Let's start with surgery day. I checked in at 7 am. Met with the ICU nurse, anesthesiologist and then the surgeon. They moved pretty quickly and I would say I was in the OR by 8 ish. I really wasn't that nervous considering I had a 7 hour double jaw surgery ahead of me.

As a reminder, they had to remove most of the prior hardware before starting the new surgery to set my jaws in place. They also decided to remove my chin implant as they felt it would protrude too much with the advancement. They planned and did advance me 5 mm on top jaw and 19 mm on the bottom. I think this was the right decision from what I have seen.
I'm about to have my face broken...Peace!

Next thing I knew, I was awake and all reports of the surgery said it had gone well. The first thing I noticed was my breathing. I felt like it was the first time in my life I had a really big breath. He told me that my airway was very small and I should notice a big difference. He was totally right and I was quite amazed. The other two things I really noticed was my sore throat from being intubated and then my heel that had a stress fracture. I guess how they had it sitting did not sit well and it hurt like a mother! I really didn't feel too bad either. Think I took a few doses of the good stuff via the IV, but after about 4 hours in recovery we got ready to go home.
Doing my Real Housewives impersonation 

I survived!
Why Yes, Dr. Sherry, I want a pic with you on my couch even tho I look like a swollen 90 year old woman

Dr. Sherry's ICU nurse, Michelle came home with me to stay the night. She was equipped with IV, meds, oxygen and overall awesome nursing care. Oh and Dr. Sherry made a surprise visit at my house to check in on me. It really lifted my spirits seeing him. Last night we had to adjust meds a few times to find the right fit so I could sleep, but we did it. But, it really wasn't that bad and my parents also got a break and were able to have a good night's sleep. Michelle left about 5:30 this morning and I was definitely sad to see her go.

Today - 1 Day Post OP
So things gradually started going downhill today. Nothing incredibly major, but the swelling started kicking into high gear which caused a lot of discomfort. And, my lips are ridiculous. All I can suggest is to have the steroid cream prescribed to you to stay on top of coating them. Also, I tried to eat in the am with apple sauce and not only was it virtually impossible, I seemed to have breathing/swallowing problems after that. So, we tried a boost shake and it did the same thing.



HOT, just sooo HOT LOL. I really like the bloody drool...
Steriod Duck Lips

Dinner

I had an appointment with Dr. Sherry in his office today at 1 so we reviewed some of the concerns, specifically the breathing. They did seem to think I may possibly be having an allergic reaction to either meds or something I was eating; however, I do have an underlying esophagus issue that can have similar symptoms. So, the game plan was to take benadryl and add some adivan and that seemed to do the trick. I was able to drink an extra two bottles of gatorade, 2 cups of broth and almost a full chocolate lil boost. Was pretty happy with my progress. PS get these bottles that are like ketchup and mustard plastic containers. They are so much easier than the syringes!

That's about it for now. Going to keep on the same regime until Sunday. Going to meet with Surgeon and he said if I can stand it, he'd like to suction. I'm game for whatever makes things easier.

#ashleysjawprobz #doublejawsurgery #doublejawsurgeryrecovery


No comments:

Post a Comment