Wednesday, August 10, 2016

7 Days Post Op

Well, Good News is I survived the first week!!! 1 down, 7 more to go (of my no chew diet)...

If you read my last post, you would know that my day 7 was not starting out to be a good one. Last night I was up with coughing and pain and never was able to go back to sleep.

I went to the doctor for a follow-up and he had a few comments on my concerns:

  1. Coughing - He is also concerned about the chest cough. And, has advised me to go to my GP in the am to have it checked out and rule out pneumonia. (I will obvi do this, but I have already decided that I do not have and will NOT get pneumonia...end of story). 
  2. Pain - Said to expect good days and bad days. He said the good days should be outweighing the bad days and to try to start to get back to some normal activity. Tho, I did go to the mall yesterday and ended up in a fit last night. So, go figure. 
  3. Roof Split - He initially said I didn't have a split in my roof. And, then when I told him when I would drink or brush my teeth, liquid would pour out my nose...he decided to take a second look. And, after a lot of painful pulling of my cheeks to see in my mouth, he did see a little tear. SEE! I'm not CRAZY LOL. He didn't seem to concerned with it other than not to blow my nose and not to cause friction between my mouth and nose. Still am not exactly sure what that means. 
  4. Swelling - I just started paying attention to the aesthetic results - Ive been pleasantly surprised, but I do still have quite a bit of swelling and also in my neck. So, main concern was will the swelling in neck go down some/away...Trying to understand how my profile will really look. He said I'm still swollen and to be patient while I'm healing and then we can make our assessments. Fair...I guess lol. 
  5. Opening my Mouth - says I'm not opening it wide enough. My rebuttal was he had gladiator elastics on last time and my jaw wasn't ready to try to pump iron just to open my mouth. So, he took those off and put in just two and they were less tight. Said I need to practice opening my mouth. 
I also had to return Bertha, the handy suctioning machine. I was so sad to let her go. She has been my dear friend during the past week. RIP Bertha. 

So tomorrow, Dr. Sherry wants to see me again to check my bands and my palette situation, I have an appointment with Dr. Adams to check my ortho and bite, and now I have to meet with my GP in the am about my cough so we can rule out pneumonia. 

When I got home, I slept some, sulked and then had a full pity party of 1. I let myself do that for about 45 minutes and then got up and started to try to think of the positives. One being how ridiculously awesome my friends and family have stepped up during this ordeal. Bringing me flowers, checking in on me, letting me vent, making food for me and my parents, it all has been really humbling and I am very grateful for all of the great people I have supporting me. All the feels :)

I have pics from today - I definitely notice the swelling is starting to go down so that's also comforting news. 
RIP sweet Suctioning Friend

Starting to look somewhat normal
Slowly but surely the chubby cheeks are leaving

No comments:

Post a Comment